Spring Medical Group
Unit 9, 131 Henry Parry Drive
Gosford, NSW, 2250
Unit 9, 131 Henry Parry Drive
Gosford, NSW, 2250
Spring Medical Group is a MIXED BILLING GP in Gosford with Bulk Billing available for Standard Consults only. Fees apply for all procedures.
We are open 6 days (MONDAY – SATURDAY) until 7pm. We are usually closed on all Public Holidays. We are a general practice with special interest in chronic care management and minor procedures. We have a fully equipped treatment room for minor procedures as well as onsite pathology and allied health such as a podiatrist. We also have an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Psychologist operating from our location. We provide health care services to the residents and visitors of the local communities on the Central Coast, NSW and beyond.
Our mission is to provide medical care of the highest standard to all people of all ages.
We respectfully acknowledge the traditional owners of the land where we practice.
The practice is an innovative practice with 2 components – a bulk billing practice that offers General Practice services and a close collaboration with SPRING EMERGENCY CENTRE – a separate service on the same premises that provides a private billing rapid access to expert emergency care with minimal wait times for non-life threatening emergencies.
Why wait hours in the Hospital Emergency Department?
At Spring Medical Group, you will benefit from the following:
Below are some frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you cannot find the answer you are after, please contact us on 02 4380 8200 and we would be happy to help.
Tel: 02 4380 8200
Fax: 02 4302 0846
Email: [email protected]
Address: 9/131 Henry Parry Drive, Gosford NSW 2250 (2 doors down from the "Service NSW" Gosford office)
SPRING EMERGENCY CENTRE - Our private billing emergency centre is also located at 9/131 Henry Parry Drive, Gosford NSW 2250 (2 doors down from the "Service NSW" Gosford office)
Tel: 02 4307 8488
Fax: 02 4302 0846
Email: [email protected]
It is a place where you can see a GP, as well as get your tests, treatment, observation and if necessary, get a referral to another specialist. We have experienced staff and a treatment room facility. We are currently bulk billed for consultations; however all procedures incur a fee
We do have our affiliate private emergency center, which provides prompt emergency care for all non life threatening accidents and emergencies. Private billing applies to access the emergency center.
• If you need to see a GP you are welcome.
• If you need to register with a GP, you are welcome.
• If you are visiting the town and need to see a Doctor
• If you have an emergency that may not require a hospital admission, you may attend our affiliate - SPRING EMERGENCY CENTRE, which is a private billing emergency centre that provides rapid access to expert emergency care with minimal wait time for non-life threatening emergencies..
• An emergency that requires treatment and short observation or short admission like mild asthma, gastro, mild to moderate chest infection etc may attend.
• If you have an emergency that requires hospital admission and is “NOT LIFE-THREATENING”, you will be seen by the emergency specialist or an emergency trained doctor, treated. If continued care is required, transfer to a public hospital or private hospital can be arranged if needed.
• People with minor injuries and trauma, skin conditions mental health problems (acute and chronic) may also attend the SMG.
If you have a severe or life-threatening illness or life-threatening injury such as loss of consciousness, cardiac arrest, severe bleeding that cannot be controlled, severe difficult breathing, sever chest pain, or major accident please call 000 or attend your local Emergency Department.
For all NON LIFE THREATENING emergencies requiring urgent care, please walk in or call Spring Emergency Centre on 02 4307 8488 during business hours. Please note that fees apply to access this service at all times. Go to www.springemergency.com.au for more information.
We are open 6 days from 9am to 7pm, Monday to Saturday. We are usually closed on all Public Holidays.
Outside of these opening hours, you may contact the National Home Doctor Service on 13SICK (that's 13 7425).
If it is a life threatening emergency, please dial 000 now.
Yes. You can have you blood test within our practice with Laverty Pathology. Their current available times are Monday, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9am to 1pm or at their North Gosford location on Etna Street daily.
X-rays are done at PRP on William Street, which is a 5-10 minutes walking distance from SMG.
We also provide in-house x-ray services on Saturdays 12noon to 4pm only which is provided via Robot Imaging
There are a few pharmacies and chemist within a walking distance from the location of SMG. They include Chemist Warehouse and Phillips Pharmacy inside the Imperial Centre
• General Standard Consultations, which includes Mental Health Consultations as well if needed
• Besides our Standard Consultations, we also provide the following procedures which incur a fee:
• General Procedures - ECG and Spirometry
• Suturing or debridement of wounds
• Excision of small lumps and skin lesions
• Sprains and management of minor injuries
• Intravenous antibiotics
• Intravenous fluids
• Aspiration and drainage of boils and abscesses
• Relocation of minor dislocations
• Plastering for fractures
• Treatment of acute and chronic pain
• Pain relief
• Joint injections
• Iron infusions
• Foreign body removal from eyes, ears, nose and under the skin
• Ear syringing
• Cryotherapy (freezing of warts and skin tags)
Most of our patients will be seen and treated within 30 minutes or earlier of registering at the reception for their scheduled booked appointment. If it is going to be longer than 30 minutes, you will be advised accordingly.
For our GP bulk billed services, we do not offer a walk-in service option.
You may walk in for service via Spring Emergency Centre, which is a private billed emergency center at our location.
We are at Unit 9, 131 Henry Parry Drive. We are in the Park Plaza and it is 2 doors down from the Service NSW office. We are between the intersection of William Street and Erina Street with Henry Parry Drive in Gosford
- Dr. Gabriel Akra (GP and Emergency Specialist)
- Dr. Oluwajolatanka Oguns (GP)
- Dr. Andrew Lin (GP)
- Dr. Samantha Tripp (GP Registrar)
- Emily Moore (Registered Nurse)
- Renee Rendel (Registered Nurse)
OTHER PRACTIONERS we work closely with from our location include:
- Sharon Crowther (Podiatrist - Gosford Podiatry)
- Carmelo Gangemi (Psychologist - Better Choice Psychology)
- Dr. Donald PITCHFORD (Orthopedic Surgeon)
- Dr. Bobby KUMAR (Cosmetic Surgical Fellow)
Yes. We are MIXED BILLING practice. We offer Bulk Billed services for all our standard consultations. All procedures incur an out of pocket cost.
In addition, if you need certain procedures that Medicare does not provide a rebate for, you will incur an out of pocket fee. Also some fee applies for influenza (flu) vaccinations for people not eligible under the NSW guidelines as outlined in https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/immunisation/Pages/flu.aspx
For non-Medicare patients, the following fees apply for standard consultation excluding procedures:
- Standard Consult (MBS Level 23): $70
- Long Consult (MBS Level 36): $100
- Prolonged Consult (MBS Level 44): $140
- Worker's Compensation Consultations: As per NSW SIRA rates
- Employment Medicals - Basic: $100 + GST
- Employment Medicals - Comprehensive: $250 + GST
- Iron Infusion - $180 + Medicare Rebate
*Prices are subject to change without notice. Call reception to confirm.
General practices are increasingly using electronic communication to correspond with patients and other health professionals.
Our practice electronic communication policy for use with email, SMS, internet and social media will help protect the security of patient information and the reputation of Spring Medical Group
The practice team will be familiar with the following policy, comply with the policy, and understand the risks associated with using electronic forms of communication, both internally and external.
The use of the practice email account is for business communications only.
Patient information will only be sent via e-mail or eFax if it is securely encrypted according to industry standards, practice policy and where the patient has consented to this mode of direct communication. An email disclaimer will be inserted into the signature of all practice emails.
Protection against spam and theft of information: The practice utilises a spam filtering program
Email and SMS – For patients
Our patients will be given the option of being contacted by electronic means such as via SMS.
All new patients in the practice will be given an new patient registration form that includes some information on our electronic communication policy and are asked to provide consent to agree or disagree to be communicated with in this manner.
It is acknowledged by the practice that consent is implied if the patient initiates electronic communication with the practice.
We use the SMS Recall and Reminder System to inform patients of the following:
• when the patient needs to make an appointment to review a test result
. reminder of a scheduled appointment.
• as a reminder that a generic preventative screening test (for example, flu vaccine, skin-check, cervical screening) is due.
• cannot guarantee confidentiality of information transferred via email
• will comply with the Australian Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988.
• communications will not contain sensitive information, due to the risk of confidential information being accessed inadvertently or intentionally by a third party.
• communications will not contain results that only the general practitioner should be divulging in a follow-up appointment, ie abnormal results, education concerning a new diagnosis, etc unless specifically requested by the patient to be sent to them via email.
• communication will not entail promotion of any product and/or preventative health care (as some patients can interpret this as an advertisement)
Patients are advised that:
• email communication is not be used to solicit any clinical information or services
• emails containing applicable requests will be attended and responded to within 2 business working days
• patients should not use email to contact the practice in an emergency via an auto-reply
Our practice email account for patients and stakeholders for non-urgent communication with our practice is [email protected]
This email account will the routinely checked throughout the business day by the delegated authority, Office Manager, Reception Staff and Practice Manager at the start of business
• one hour before end of business
The email message will then be forwarded to the appropriate team member for response. Communication conducted with a patient via electronic means will be added to the patient’s medical record by the team member resolving the enquiry.
When recalling a patient for a test result, the extent to which patients are followed up will depend on the level of urgency and the clinical significance of their test results. If the patient has not responded to the SMS or email in 2 weeks then other forms of communication (phone call, registered mail) should be considered.
Email and SMS between the practice and the patient will form part of the medical record and need to be included, as must any actions taken in response to the message.
The RACGP has additional information on using electronic forms of communication in general practice.
• eHealth - https://www.racgp.org.au/your-practice/ehealth/
• Standards for general practices (5th edition) - https://www.racgp.org.au/your-practice/standards/standards5thedition/
Our practice's policy for managing patient health information complies with federal and NSW privacy regulations including the Privacy Act 1988 and Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 as well as complying with standards set out in the RACGP Handbook for the management of health information in general practice (3rd edition).
Under no circumstances are members of the practice team to discuss or in any way reveal patient conditions or documentation to unauthorized staff, colleagues, other patients, family or friends, whether at the practice or outside it, such as in the home or at social occasions. This includes patient’s accounts, referral letters or other clinical documentation.
General practitioners and other practice team members are aware of confidentiality requirements for all patient encounters, and recognize that significant breaches of confidentiality may provide grounds for disciplinary action or dismissal.
Current as of: May 20th 2019
* Why and when your consent is necessary
* When you register as a patient of our practice, you provide consent for our GPs and practice staff to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible healthcare. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
* Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our practice will need to collect your personal information to provide healthcare services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, practice audits and accreditation, and business processes (eg staff training).
* What personal information do we collect?
* The information we will collect about you includes your:
• names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
• medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors
• Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes
• healthcare identifiers
• health fund details (if applicable)
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorized by law to only deal with identified individuals.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our practice may collect your personal information in several different ways such as over the phone, in person at one of our offices, via email and over the internet if you transact with us online, report an incident, complete questionnaires, have telephone conversations with us or otherwise transact with us. More specifically:
1. When you make your first appointment our practice staff will collect your personal and demographic information via your registration.
2. During the course of providing medical services, we may collect further personal information. Information can also be collected through electronic transfer of prescriptions (eRx), My Health Record, via Shared Health Summary, Event Summary and received messages from other practices.
3. We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
4. In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
• your guardian or responsible person
• other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
• your health fund, Medicare, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (as necessary).
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
• with third parties who work with our practice for business purposes, such as accreditation agencies or information technology providers – these third parties are required to comply with APPs and this policy
• with other healthcare providers
• when it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
• when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
• to assist in locating a missing person
• to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
• for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
• when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (eg some diseases require mandatory notification)
• during the course of providing medical services, through HealthEngine (our online booking service) eRx, My Health Record (eg via Shared Health Summary, Event Summary).
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing medical services or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Our practice will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our practice in writing.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our practice in various forms.
• paper records
• electronic records
Our practice stores all personal information securely.
We securely store and protect personal information using electronic format in Best Practice, which is a protected information system. All staff use traceable assigned logins and passwords, as well as confidentiality agreements for staff and contractors.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our practice?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our practice acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing using our form – “Request for My Medical Records” available from our front desk receptions staff. Our practice will respond within 30 days. For a full and complete record history download and transfer to another practice or to you the patient, a fee of $40 + GST applies.
Our practice will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our practice is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in person during a visit or in writing to our practice manager:
Laurel Akra 9/131 Henry Parry Drive, Gosford 2250 or via an email to [email protected]
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our practice?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. Upon receipt of a complaint we will consider the complaint and attempt to resolve it in accordance with our complaints handling procedures. We will endeavor to promptly respond to your questions, concerns or complaints. We will also endeavor to resolve any concerns or complaints which you may have to your satisfaction within 45 days, unless an extension is required.
Please make all complaints or feedback in writing to the following address:
Attention of the Practice Manager - Laurel Akra
9/131 Henry Parry Drive, Gosford 2250
OR via an email to [email protected]
You may also contact the OAIC. Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
Privacy and our website
During interactions on our website and our online booking service, we may collect personal information and the website may also capture some information for website analytics and cookies
Policy review statement
We value your feedback - positive or negative. If you have a comment or complaint we would like to hear about it.
We want to hear from you if you have a complaint. It is important that we have an opportunity to resolve any problems. It is preferable that you talk to your doctor in the privacy of their room. You may also talk to the practice manager, assistant practice manager or the receptionist on duty. You may request to speak in the privacy of a room. Alternatively you may write to the doctor or to the practice manager.
We would strive to resolve a complaint. However, if you wish to take the matter further or simply feel that you need to discuss with someone outside the practice, you can contact the Health Care Complaints Commission at:
Locked Bag 18, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012 or by calling 1800 043 159 or (02) 9219 7444.
We certainly love to hear compliments – they encourage us to strive to do better!
Yes, we do. The fee is $180 + Medicare rebate component. So the out of pocket fee is $180 for all patients.
For EXISTING patients, do discuss with our doctors and you'd be advised during the consultation of the process.
For NEW patients, who may have had a diagnosis and prescription provided to them else where, the process is as follows:
1.) Call 02 4380 8200 to make an appointment to see the doctor. Please inform the reception staff that it is for an Iron Infusion. Do come along with all your pathology results and relevant paper work.
2.) At the appointment, our doctor would assess your results and/or referral and would proceed at their clinical discretion. The fee of $180 applies and would be charged only if the iron infusion proceeds. This usually takes place on the same day if the doctor and the patient are happy to proceed after discussions. The procedure appointments are usually any weekday between 10am and 3:30pm, however please call reception to book an available slot, which would also depend on when a nurse is also available. Please note that the infusion is at the discretion of our doctor and would be discussed and explained to you by the doctor.
3.) Please note that the procedure is a clinically significant procedure that the clinical staff at Spring Medical Group work to mitigate and manage any complications and adverse reactions.
If you have got any questions, please do call us on 02 4380 8200.
Further to the Communication Policy stated above, SMG also utilizes an SMS based RECALL and REMINDER system powered by HotDoc software.
The RECALL system is essential mode of communication and it used to notify patients after a test result has been received, assessed and a follow-up indicated by the doctor. It is highly recommended not to OPT-OUT of receiving these notification from us as it is void of any marketing material.
The message sent to the patient varies on the level of urgency. This is usually done within 24-72 hours of receiving the test report.
Please note we do not provide or discuss results over the phone. A follow up appointment with a doctor is needed to receive the results.
Reception staff do not have the clinical knowledge or authorization to discuss to your results with you.
We send up to 3 SMSs with up to 3 day intervals for urgent and non urgent recalls, along with a phone call for the urgent recalls.
For REMINDERS, these are optional and we send routine reminders regarding health such as flu-vaccines, cervical screening or other health information that may be relevant to aid in maintaining your health. Please advise the reception staff if you do not wish to receive routine reminders.
We understand that unplanned issues can come up and you may need to cancel an appointment. If that happens, we respectfully ask for scheduled appointments to be cancelled at least 3 hours in advance.
Our doctors want to be available for your needs and the needs of all our patients. When a patient does not show up for a scheduled appointment, another patient loses an opportunity to be seen and it is a waste of our resources.
A fee of $40 applies for appointments that are cancelled within 3 hours or if you do not attend your appointment. This fee needs to be paid prior to booking next appointment & is not claimable with Medicare or health funds.
Thank you for being a valued patient and for your understanding and cooperation as we institute this policy.
This policy will enable us to open otherwise unused appointments to better serve the needs of all patients.
At Spring Medical Group, we provide telehealth appointments via video calls only using a web based app called GP Consults. We do not routinely provide voice-only telephone calls. We only provide telehealth appointments to patients who have been seen by any one of our doctors for a consultation face to face within the last 6 months at our practice This is our policy as it is important to us to ensure that our doctors have the opportunity to assess and provide care to patients face to face.
Please note that a smart phone with video function capability is required to book a telehealth appointment with us. Please do not book a telehealth appointment if you do not have a smart phone or unsure about the video capability of your phone, as failure to connect via video will be counted as a non attendance, which incurs a fee.
When a telehealth video call appointment is booked, we do kindly request a 2 hour window for the doctor to make contact. You would receive a text with a link which you'd click on and follow the prompts. You are kindly required to respond promptly (within 2 minutes) upon receiving the text message. Failure to respond promptly results in the doctor moving on to the next appointment and may ultimately result in a non attendance if 2 attempts are made unsuccessfully. When the first contact is made within the initial 2 hours of the booked appointment and the patient does not respond promptly, the doctor will usually attempt to contact the patient again; however this may not be within 2 hours of the booked appointment and would be anytime before the end of the business day. Reception staff are unable to ascertain when you would be contacted. Please note that failure the respond promptly (within 2 minutes) of the second attempted contacted by the doctor anytime during the business day of the booked appointment will result in the appointment marked as a non attendance and a fee would apply for a missed appointment. This is a $40 fee, which does not attract a medicare rebate.
Please kindly note that when Telehealth appointments are booked it is important to have a smart phone with video functionality that you are familiar with and to be on alert and respond promptly please. Do consider the alternative appointment type of face to face if in doubt.
Please note that a $40 non attendance fee applies if you fail to attend your telehealth appointment. Our cancellation policy of a minimum notice time of 3 hours prior to your scheduled appointment applies.
Please call reception on 02 4380 8200 to discuss and clarify our appointment type options.